ALESMITH TOPS AGAIN AT CONTEST
S.D. International Beer Festival names local brewery champion for second year in a row
BY PETER ROWE
Brewers talk of being “dialed in,” meaning they’ve mastered the intricacies of a beer or brewing system. Or, in AleSmith’s case, the annual San Diego International Beer Festival competition.
For the second straight year, the Miramar company was named Friday as the festival’s champion brewery. This encore is more impressive than the initial victory, as the 2016 competition featured a record number of breweries (254) and beers (1,374). AleSmith’s Nut Brown Ale took a gold medal; its Horny Devil and Olde Ale, silvers; and a bronze went to Old Numbskull. The competition, now in its 10th year, draws entries from across the United States and the world. This year, more than a quarter of the 159 medals were awarded to San Diego County breweries.
Of those 41 medals, 23 were gold. They include:
• Mandarin Nectar, Alpine Beer
• Nut Brown Ale, AleSmith Brewing
• Funk # Four, Aztec Brewing
• Three Sheets Barley Wine, Ballast Point Brewing- HomeBrewMart
• Viva La Beaver, Belching Beaver Brewery
• Rasbiscus Mead, Breakwater Brewing
• Sour Superintendent, Division 23 Brewing
• Shut Up Wesley Wheat, Intergalactic Brewing
• Claritas, Mike Hess Brewing
• Mighty Joe Young, Monkey Paw Brewing
• Mother Earth ESB, Mother Earth Brew Co.
• Pure & Simple IPA and Pacific Storm Stout, New English Brewing Co.
• Constantine’s Russian Imperial Stout, Nickel Beer
• Shark Bite Red, Pizza Port-Bressi Ranch
• Short Schwartz, Pizza Port-Carlsbad
• Dawn Patrol Dark, Port Brewing Co.
• Breakline Bock and Black Lagoon Scottish Strong, Rip Current Brewing
• Scottish Ale, Saint Archer Brewery
• San Diego IPA, San Diego Brewing Co.
• The Coachman, Societe Brewing Co.
• Bramble On Rose, Toolbox Brewing Co.
Angry Orchard Cider Co. of Walden, N.Y., was named champion meadery/cidery.
The “Best of Show” beer will be announced June 18, during the June 17-19 festival at the Del Mar Fairgrounds.
email@example.com (619) 293-1227